Spotlight On - Mason Brownlow
SPOTLIGHT ON features Mason Brownlow; creative director, dad of two, film and camera obsessive, tattoo aficionado.
He is also one half of the creative partnership behind @instaweddinguk - creators of cinematic film and artistic photography for weddings, brands and events.
About as cool as a Dad can get, we love Mason's unique sartorial style, and his passion for inspiring creatives, all beautifully curated on his 'A Gentleman of Distinction' Instagram page. A long-term creative collaborator with TIBA + MARL, Mason documents a series of editorial inspired images and creates a short film of him out and about with his CAMO ELWOOD BACKPACK. We also put a set of style related questions to Mason. Check out his answers...
WHO ARE YOUR STYLE HEROS?
• Hiroki Nakamura, creator of Visvim
• Paul Weller, mod king.
• James Dean, white t shirt and jeans don.
• Nick Wooster, mixes brands well.
• Justin O'Shea, always in perfectly cut clothes.
• Alex Turner, original legend.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE BRANDS?
• Visvim - footwear is unparalleled, clothes are fantastic, hard to wear for the big boys though!
• Tiba + Marl - not just saying it, but you girls have come a long way, do things right and make fantastic products that last and look unbelievable.
• Mix of a load of other stuff, but I like good basics Albam, Common Projects and a bit of Cos and Topman from the high street
WHAT INSPIRES YOUR CREATIVE DECISIONS?
I've been in the 'creative' industry for 20 years this year from making plates and processing film, to owning magazines, retouching for the worlds best photographers to where I am now working with smaller brands that appreciate and understand the true value of good design, photography and strategy. I've seen trends come and go and seen the industry evolve over and over and a massive influx of people that call themselves a creative because it's 'cool' or 'trendy' to not have a 9-5 office job. I tend to trust my gut with what I think is the right solution to the brief.
HOW DOES T+M FIT INTO YOUR STYLE?
Perfectly. I used my BLACK ELWOOD BACKPACK everyday for over a year with filling it with laptops, pads and camera gear, taking it all around the world! I don't leave the house without my new camo one at the minute I'm obsessed.